Weight Watchers magazine is the bi-monthly title of the international weight-loss brand, sold in newsstands and Weight Watchers meetings in France. The title combines translated and original commissioned content (around 40% localized and 60% original content) and includes food (30 to 35 recipes), nutrition, well-being, health, fitness, fashion and lifestyle content.
We are looking for an experienced native French-speaking editor to work on the French edition of the magazine. Key responsibilities include managing the planning, client liaison, translation, feature commissioning, editing, sign-off and proofing of the magazine.
The editor is based in the River office in London and must be French native. It is a part-time freelance position of 3 days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday).
- To ensure every issue of the print magazine is edited to the standards and brief agreed by the client and publisher, that the messaging is consistent and compelling, and that all pages adhere to house style.
- Full responsibility for fulfilling brief from outline to execution.
- To be the editorial link with the client and to ensure that the client is dealt with in a professional and supportive way.
- Presenting the editorial plan to the client, amending/revising as necessary.
- Devising the editorial flatplan & outline for each issue for circulation among the River team and client.
- Preparing and circulating schedules and ensure deadlines are met.
- Liaising with the client and chasing down feedback, amends and approval. Managing full and final sign-off on all pages.
- Key day-to-day liaison between client and editorial team.
- Overseeing and commissioning features and feature shoots, confirming brief and fee in writing.
- Editing raw copy before passing to the Subeditor and check edited layouts, ensuring they are on brief, before passing to the Client.
- Interviewing WW members and coaches and write cover and success stories.
- Writing heads and sells for the cover and throughout the issue.
- Reading and correcting proofs, returning proofs to writers and amending briefs if required.
- Signing off all digital / cromalin proofs before files are sent to repro, and checking the Printer’s Proofs before press.
- Keeping abreast of food and well-being trends and competitor magazine output, and additional magazine research as appropriate.
- In conjunction with the Art Director and Publisher, arranging photo shoots and assigning deadlines, ensuring the brief is met.
- Managing editorial budget and ensure all costs fall within budget.
- Ensuring that a purchase order is raised for all work, signing off invoices, and keeping accounts and spending up-to-date.
- Booking cover / extra help where appropriate within the team.
- French native with writing, translating, editing and/or copywriting experience in client-facing publishing.
- Experience of responding to client and agency briefs and be capable of working with an in-house team and managing freelance contributors.
- The successful applicant will have a meticulous eye for detail and will be used to working under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Experience and/or interest in the main editorial pillars of food, well-being and fitness, is an advantage
- Experience with magazine processes and editing copy on InDesign is desirable
- A demonstrable committed, motivated, energetic and enthusiastic approach to work.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to Bina Mistry, HR Manager. email@example.com