This is a rare and exciting opportunity to edit Healthy magazine, the UK’s leading women’s health and wellbeing magazine, sold in Holland & Barrett stores and newsstands.
Working under the Editorial Director, you will ensure that every issue, and all associated digital and social content, is edited to the standards and brief as agreed by her, Holland & Barrett, and our Group Account Director.
You will act as a key link with the client, ensuring that the client is dealt with in a professional and supportive way. You’ll be happy pitching everything from the regular issue plans to exciting brand extensions.
You will assist the Editorial Director in the day-to-day management of the in-house team, with particular responsibility for ensuring a regular flow of copy/layouts to/from the Chief Sub/Art and Creative Directors.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate relevant experience at an editor, deputy editor or features editor level. You’ll be passionate and well informed about health and wellbeing, have great editorial vision and be a constant source of new, exciting, on-brand ideas to keep Healthy ahead of the competition.
You’ll be able to run a features list, have a bulging contacts book, and be able to bring everything in on budget and to schedule. Working on a fast-paced and growing account, you’ll be a team player happy to help at any level – from issue themes and coverlines to creating video and social media posts. While you’ll be, at heart, a brilliant journalist, client and content marketing experience would be preferable.
- To keep abreast of all health trends and research
- To commission all journalists, confirming brief and fee in writing ensuring all commissioning forms assigning copyright are signed and returned with approval of the Editorial Director
- To have a hands-on approach assisting in the creation of content for print and digital including articles, blogs, video, podcasts and social
- To have particular responsibility for certain sections of the magazine, including recipe extracts, travel and work pages
- To book in freelance copy editors, ensuring they are on brief and within budget and at the optimal time for the schedule
- To manage the production of advertorials
- To liaise with Promotions Manager
- To edit raw copy, ensuring it is on brief, to brand guidelines and within health claims legislation
- To oversee the client pages within Healthy magazine, pre-empting any issues and creating to the agreed brief and standard
- To read and correct proofs, returning proofs to writers if required, before passing on the Editorial Director
- To sign off digital / cromalin proofs before files are sent to printer at the discretion of the Editorial Director
- Along with the Editorial Director, to be a public ‘face of’ Healthy, ensuring you are first in line to comment on all health trend stories and a regular spokesperson across broadcast and digital broadcast channels, also called on for comment in newspapers as appropriate
- To ensure healthy is the first port of call for natural and core health comment, and seen as the birthplace of health trends
- To maintain links with celebrity and health PRs
- To attend press events, launches, talks etc ensuring Healthy’s profile within the industry and our continued access to the best experts, bloggers, writers etc
- Where needed to work with the Art and Creative directors on photoshoots
- To write heads, sells and coverlines
- To be a key editorial link with the client.
- To arrange, attend and present at, at the request of the Editorial Director, and in conjunction with Group Account Director, editorial review and planning meetings with the client.
- To attend, at the discretion of the Editorial Director, other relevant meetings and events arranged by or for the client
- To develop relationships with client agencies / suppliers as appropriate
Managing the process
- To support the Editorial Director in communicating with and managing the portfolio team, with particular responsibility for the Lifestyle Writer, as well as any freelancers used to ensure brief and the schedule are met for the print edition and associated website/digital content to the expected high editorial standards
- Fulfilling other management duties such as writing awards entries for the team
- Ensure that a purchase order is raised for all work – at the time of commissioning and not on receipt of invoice
- Ensure that all editorial features commissioned and freelancer day rates all fall within the editorial words budget and River parameters
- Reports to: Editorial Director
- Liaises with: Group Account Director, Account Manager, Creative Director, Advertising Manager, Promotions Manager, Client and client agencies and suppliers, Content Director
- Manages: Lifestyle writer, Freelance writers, Chief Sub, Creative Directors
- Quality of the content created
- Relationship and profile with client
- Profile within industry and wider reach of readership
- Smooth running and positive attitude of team with particular regard to copy and layout flow so that all schedules are maintained and deadlines hit
- Support given and attitude towards Editorial Director, senior management and colleagues
To apply please upload your CV to recruitment.